The Religious Ceremonies and Customs of the Parsees – by Ervad Shams-ul-ulama Dr. Sir Jivanji Jamshedji Modi – B.A. PhD. C.I.E. – A classic book, first published in 1922 and much referred all over the world by all those who want to understand and follow the Ceremonies and Customs of the Parsees. Now being put up online with kind permission from Mr. Nadir Modi.
The book is presented under the following principal heads :
- Introduction and Contents
- The Socio-Religious Ceremonies, which have been treated under the heads of (a) Birth, (b) Marriage and (c) Death Ceremonies
- The Purification Ceremonies, whic are treated under the sub-heads of (a) Nahan (b) Riman, and (c) the Bareshnum, (d) with an additional chapter on the purification of articles supposed to have been contaminated
- The Initiation Ceremonies, which have been treated under the Sub-Headings of (a) Naojote or the Initiation of a child into the fold and (b) Navar and Martab, which are the two grades of Initiation into Priesthood.
- The Consecration Ceremonies, which talk of (a) the consecration of Fire Temples, (b) the Towers of Silence, and (c) Alats or religious requisites
- The Liturgical Ceremonies, which are treated under two principal heads
o The first head speaks of the Inner Liturgical services and talks of (a)the Yasna (b) the Viparad, (c) the Vendidad and (d) the Baj
o The second head speaks of the Outer Liturgical ceremonies of (a) the Afringan, (b) the Farokshi and (c) the Satum.
o An additional Chapter speaks of several ceremonies which are groups of more than one ceremony.
Click on each of the above for the PDFs of interesting reading.